This past Friday and Monday, Allegan County residents had the opportunity to receive free flu shots at ACRDC. In conjunction with ACRDC’s food commodity days, residents could stop by their office on Water Street for a free flu shot. Flu shots were provided by Walgreens through a partnership with FamilyWize, Allegan County United Way and ACRDC. The partnership helped provide over 40 flu shots to uninsured and underinsured residents, encouraging preventive measures heading into the winter months and typical peak of flu season.
What made this event so great was we were able to reach people who may not have been able to afford a flu shot or didn’t have access. The vaccine was provided by Walgreens as part of a nationwide program that helps to make flu shots available to those without health insurance coverage and unable to afford a flu shot.
“At FamilyWize we believe that stronger, healthier and happier people make healthier and better communities,” said Dan Barnes, CEO of FamilyWize. “The single best way to prevent seasonal flu is to get vaccinated each year, but there are also good health habits that can often help stop the spread of germs.”
If you haven’t gotten your flu shot just yet, FamilyWize offers the following advice to help prevent the flu:
- Clean Your Hands: Wash your hands as often and thorough as possible with soap and water. If soap is not available use an alcohol based hand sanitizer.
- Stay Home: Whenever possible, stay home when you are sick. Avoid school, work, and even errands. Experts recommend you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone.
- Avoid Close Contact: Do your best to avoid close contact with people who are sick. You should also avoid close contact with others when you are sick.
- Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose or Mouth: Viruses are often spread after a person touches something that is contaminated with the virus and then touches his or her eyes, nose or mouth. This is why it is also important to cover your mouth and nose when sneezing or coughing.
- Keep Your Surroundings Clean: Clean and disinfect that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
In addition to free flu shots, FamilyWize also offers a free prescription discount card to Allegan residents. In 2014, Allegan County has saved $23,911 in prescription costs. Discount cards are available at the Allegan County United Way office (650 Grand Street, Allegan), printed online, or downloaded as an app. For more information, please visit http://familywize.org/card/.